As a person who is not a fan of most raw veggies, I have to get creative to get in pregnancy power foods like eggplant and spinach. Enter this Eggplant Parm recipe. With a bit of garlic bread (not too much!), it’s like eating really chunky spaghetti sauce. No noodles, just veggie-infused chunky glorious sauce. Enjoy!
2 large eggplants
4 garlic cloves
3 cans of chopped tomatoes
2 onions, diced
5 large mushrooms, sliced
2 handfuls of spinach
1 handful chopped basil
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup parmesan
1) Slice the eggplant into thin slices and put on an oiled baking tray and cook at 400F for 30 minutes, turning half way through.
2) Heat a little oil in a large pan and add the onions, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
3) Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes and then add the spinach and basil and cook for a another minute.
4) Start assembling by putting some of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 12 inch baking dish. Top with some eggplant slices, a little parmesan and some cracked black pepper.
5) Repeat this process and finish with a layer of tomato sauce. Pour over the beaten egg and sprinkle with the last of the parmesan.
6) Bake at 400F for 25 minutes.
I played with the recipe a bit using just one onion and adding some onion powder, jarred minced garlic, only had 2 cans of chopped tomatoes so I used one can of tomato sauce and one of the cans of chopped tomatoes were Italian seasoned. I think you can make it your own very easily – that’s why I love it!
How would you modify the recipe to include your most recent cravings or favorite veggies?